Connecticut state Sen. Matt Lesser, left, presents Carnegie Hero Marvin George Dixon, right, with the Carnegie Medal at a ceremony while, background, from left, state Rep. Christie Carpino and U.S. Rep. John B. Larson look on.
Cromwell (Conn.) Deputy Mayor Richard R. Newton, Cromwell Police Chief Denise Lamontagne, and three other police officers also attended the private ceremony to honor Carnegie Hero Marvin George Dixon, a maintenance supervisor of Cromwell, and his life-saving actions to save a police officer from a May 17, 2018, assault inside an apartment building in Hartford, Conn.
The bipartisan support from legislators on both sides of the aisle and range of local, state, and federal officials who saw to Dixon’s recognition was poignant to Lesser, who said Dixon’s heroic actions “bring us together as who we want to be as a community, a state, and a nation,” according to a local report.
Dixon stated that he does not consider himself a hero, but he and colleague Jose L. Casanova were alerted that a police officer, 34, needed help in an upper-floor apartment and responded. In the hallway, they saw a female resident of the building holding a kitchen knife and choking the officer, who had already been stabbed repeatedly in the neck. The men ran to them; Dixon grasped the assailant from behind and Casanova seized the knife from her hand. Dixon restrained the assailant while a building manager tended to the officer’s wounds until backup officers arrived.
In addition to receiving the Carnegie Medal, Newton presented Dixon with a key to the town of Cromwell.
“I love having you live here in Cromwell,” he said.
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Scott Morin, Enmanuel Familia, Amy M. Waterman, Angela C. Consiglio, Steven Barnett, and Allen Noble Corson, Jr.
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Lewis A. Medina
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Andrew Parent and Roger Combs
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Christopher Bryant Aboyte, Damien Castro, and Robert Michael Sherock
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Kenneth S. Andreen
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Frank P. Axiotes
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Brandon Bair
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Darnell J. Wilson
- Carnegie Medal presentation in honor of Adam Layman Thomas
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Ross C. Johnson