“For exceptional children exceptional grants may be made for exceptional education.”
Carnegie Medal awardees or the dependants or children of disabled or deceased awardees may be eligible for scholarship assistance from the Commission. Limited funding is available in cases where personal or other sources of income are insufficient to meet the academic costs of a higher education.
The requirements are:
- A demonstrated need.
- The school attended must be accredited and licensed. It must offer on-campus instruction regardless of whether requested support is for on-campus or online instruction.
- The program undertaken must result in a degree, diploma, certificate, or some such confirmation that the program is being undertaken to equip the student for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.
- Funding must be applied toward meeting academic costs (tuition, books, fees) and may not be applied to room and board, travel, etc.
- Assistance is for costs of schooling about to be undertaken. The Hero Fund will not reimburse for costs of completed terms or help defray outstanding student debt.
- After the first grant, repeat applicants will need to furnish proof of the student having attained an acceptable level of academic performance, which is understood to be a grade-point average at least above the school’s level of academic probation. A copy of the student’s latest grades or a statement from the student’s academic advisor will satisfy the requirement.
How to Apply
To apply, download and complete the application form and send to the Hero Fund along with:
- documentation from the school outlining the costs of the term and the resources available for you to meet those costs, including scholarships and grants;
- a copy of most recent income tax return; and
- a copy of latest grades or statement from student’s academic advisor attesting to the student’s academic performance, if this application is for continuing education after the first grant.
All applications should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or postal mail at Carnegie Hero Fund Commission, Attn: Jo Braun, 436 7th Ave., Suite 1101, Pittsburgh, PA 15219-1841.