The March 2018 edition of imPULSE, the Commission’s quarterly newsletter, can be read online. This issue includes resumes of the latest awardees’ heroic acts, as well as a updates on the goings on of the Commission including its yearly review of awardees, grants, outreach, actions both abroad and at home during 2017; the hiring of a new case investigator; and a call for awardees to participate in the Commission’s celebration of the 10,000 Carnegie Medals awarded since 1904.
In addition, the issue includes an article about an eagle scout project that honored a 1917 Carnegie hero and a documentary that chronicles a girl who was rescued from assault by a Carnegie hero as she continues to recover from injuries suffered in the attack. Commission Chair Mark Laskow’s column explores a recently published book about research conducted on a link between altruism and the brain, and From the Archives details the reunion of three rescuers and the woman they saved, 10 years after the act.
Also included in this edition is coverage of the Commission’s recent medal presentations including:
- Volunteer presenter Paul A. Anosolabehere presented the Carnegie Medal to the family of Jamie Alan Hyatt with the county sheriff at a local council meeting.
- David E. Hammond was awarded the Carnegie Medal by U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz at the local county commissioners building.
- Carnegie Hero Robert Conant attended an Ontario Provincial Police department award ceremony where the police commissioner and volunteer presenter Dennis J. Rogers presented him the Carnegie Medal.
- Commission board member Evan S. Frazier presented the Carnegie Medal to Harold Shaw and Vincent Santaniello held Jan. 28 in Ohio.
- Carnegie Hero Jesse T. Haw and the mother of Michael Lumahang received the Carnegie Medal from Commission President Eric P. Zahren at the Canadian Office of the Secretary to the Governor General.
- Victor M. Ortiz, a New Jersey Transit Police officer, was presented the Carnegie Medal by his police chief at a ceremony held at the department.
- U.S. Sen. Chris Van Hollen and Commission President Eric P. Zahren awarded John Paul Hollyfield the medal at Van Hollen’s Washington, D.C. office.
- Carnegie Hero Merrill O. Naylor received his medal at a private ceremony held near his Virginia home.
- Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett presented the Carnegie Medal to the family of Kevin D. Little, Jr., at an elaborate service in honor of the 10-year-old boy held at Little’s “home church.”
- James O. Vernon was presented the medal by U.S. Rep. Darin LaHood in his Peoria, Ill., office.
If you would like added to the mailing list for e-mailed or hard copies of imPULSE, e-mail us your address at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friends remembered: Vincent Santaniello
- Overheard: Impulse 55
- 2017 in review: 77 awards made, more than $850,000 given in grants
- Carnegie Medal presentation to family of Carnegie Hero Jamie Alan Hyatt
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Carnegie Hero David E. Hammond
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Carnegie Hero Robert Conant
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Vincent Santaniello and Harold Shaw
- Carnegie Medal presentation to the family of Michael Lumahang and Jesse T. Haw
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Carnegie Hero Victor M. Ortiz
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Carnegie Hero John Paul Hollyfield