In September 2016, neighbors Santaniello and Shaw responded to the scene of a one-vehicle crash in which a pickup truck left the highway, struck a utility pole and flames broke out under the hood. Santaniello, who arrived first, opened the passenger-side door and pulled the driver into the passenger seat. Then Shaw arrived, and upon hearing that the driver’s legs were trapped, he entered the truck and reached into the pedal area to free her feet. Shaw then moved the steering wheel, further freeing the driver as Santaniello pulled her from the truck. Together they dragged her into grass before flames increased to engulf the truck.
Pictured, Frazier, left, presented Shaw with the Carnegie Medal at the Mystic Tie No. 194 masonic lodge in Dennison, Ohio. He also traveled to Santaniello’s home in Uhrichsville, Ohio, where he presented the medal to him there in a private ceremony with his wife, Karen Santaniello, and children, Michael Jones and Michelle Cook.
“It was a true honor and pleasure to present Carnegie Medals to Santaniello and Shaw,” Frazier said.
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Kenneth Alfred
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Heroes Grant A. Goffinet and Brent D. Duncan
- State rep, police chief present Carnegie Medal to South Dakota police officers
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Danny Lee Tiger
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Michael Benjamin James
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to widow of Carnegie Hero David Covington
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Darren M. Smith
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Carnegie Hero Jason P. Maxwell
- Carnegie Medal presentations to Carnegie Heroes Richard J. Gandolfo and Robert M. Hosey
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Carnegie Hero Mark Oscar Tuura