Evelyn M. Larsen, 71, of Minden, Nev., died Thursday, June 21, 2018 at her home. On Dec. 31, 1964, at the age of 17, she saved four children from their burning home in Glendale, Mo. After discovering a fire in the home where she was babysitting, she ascended the stairs three times to remove the children, ages 1, 2, 4, and 5, from the home, having trouble locating the 2-year-old boy amid dense smoke filling the brick home. After he responded to her calls and she found him, Larsen (then Evelyn M. Neininger) ran down the stairs a final time, carrying the 1- and 2-year olds, losing her footing and sliding down the last few steps. She was within 2 feet of flames when she exited the home, the inside of which erupted in flames immediately. She received the Carnegie Medal one year later. Larsen was born in 1947 in St. Louis. She graduated from the University of Missouri in 1969 with a degree in teaching. According to her obituary, after becoming a grandmother in 2005, she became a fixture at her grandchildren’s school. She is survived by her husband, Jim Larsen; three siblings, two children, and two grandchildren.
- Friends Remembered: Robert H. Blasko
- Friends Remembered: Odis Lee Jones, JR.
- Friends Remembered: William Harold Denzer
- Friends Remembered: Dennis J. Myers
- Friends Remembered: Gerald M. Forrester
- Friends Remembered: Damion Derobbio
- Friends Remembered: Charles Noland Pierceall
- Friends Remembered: Joseph B. Coleman
- Friends Remembered: Rogene A. Vartanian
- Friends Remembered: Charles S. Harris