Lawrence Wm. Haywiser, 89, of Baldwin Borough, Pa., died Monday, May 21, 2018. Haywiser worked for 42 years for the Carnegie Hero Fund Commission until his retirement. He was hired at the age of 27 as chief clerk, and was named assistant treasurer of the organization in 1970, a title he retained for 27 years. In the minutes of the Executive Committee from the month of his retirement in 1997, the Commission noted,“The soundness of the Commission’s financial record keeping was due in no small part to his meticulousness of control that was equaled by his devotion to his employer and its goals. Chief among his accomplishments was his oversight of the Fund’s beneficiaries, whose well-being received his sure defense.” Investigations Manager Jeffrey A. Dooley said Haywiser was reliable, honest, polite. “He was a gentleman,” Dooley said. Haywiser also volunteered for many years as a Eucharistic Minister for Jefferson Hospital and enjoyed gardening and traveling with St. Elizabeth seniors. He is survived by his wife, Florence (Bayer) Haywiser, six children, 18 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild.
- Friends Remembered: Robert H. Blasko
- Friends Remembered: Odis Lee Jones, JR.
- Friends Remembered: William Harold Denzer
- Friends Remembered: Dennis J. Myers
- Friends Remembered: Gerald M. Forrester
- Friends Remembered: Damion Derobbio
- Friends Remembered: Charles Noland Pierceall
- Friends Remembered: Joseph B. Coleman
- Friends Remembered: Rogene A. Vartanian
- Friends Remembered: Charles S. Harris