Carnegie Hero René Roy, center, poses with Robert Mercier, left, and Commission board member Nathalie Lemieux, right, after being awarded the Carnegie Medal during a special ceremony on May 12, 2018, at the Sherbrooke Fire Department in Sherbrooke, Qué.
In August 2016, Roy, 55, an electro-mechanical technician of Sherbrooke, saved Mercier, 78, from a burning vehicle which had left the road and overturned in Sherbrooke.
Roy approached the car unsure if anyone was still in the vehicle, then observed Mercier’s head and arm emerge through an opening.
He grabbed Mercier’s free arm and pulled, pressing his foot against the car for leverage until Mercier was free, then dragged him to safety.
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Kenneth Alfred
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Heroes Grant A. Goffinet and Brent D. Duncan
- State rep, police chief present Carnegie Medal to South Dakota police officers
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Danny Lee Tiger
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Michael Benjamin James
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to widow of Carnegie Hero David Covington
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Darren M. Smith
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Carnegie Hero Jason P. Maxwell
- Carnegie Medal presentations to Carnegie Heroes Richard J. Gandolfo and Robert M. Hosey
- Carnegie Medal presentation to Carnegie Hero Mark Oscar Tuura