Carnegie Hero James Raymond Garvey, Sr., left, was presented the Carnegie Medal by Hero Fund Commission board member, Peter Lambrou, M.D., right, and Somerset County Commissioners Chairman Gerald Walker, during a county commissioners meeting on April 3, 2018, in Somerset, Pa.
On Nov. 19, 2016, Garvey, 76, a Fairhope, Pa., museum owner, extended his upper body through the driver’s window opening of a sport utility vehicle and pulled its driver partially through the opening as flames burned next to the open window. Garvey then braced his feet against the vehicle and pulled the man free of the vehicle and to safety.
“It’s the only time I’ve ever seen a miracle,” said Garvey’s wife, Nancy Garvey, in an online news article. “I’m very proud of him.”
- Carnegie Medal presentation at top of Squaw Peak impacts hero and victim
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Scott Ullom and Zachary A. McDowell
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Zachary Salce and Maddison Henslin
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Michael Douglas Barkhouse
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Kenneth L. Hamilton
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Ernest J. Tarsitano
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Kenneth Alfred
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Heroes Grant A. Goffinet and Brent D. Duncan
- State rep, police chief present Carnegie Medal to South Dakota police officers
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Danny Lee Tiger