Kaschai presented the medal to Indian River County, Fla., sheriff deputies Sunkel and Nolan on Sept. 19, 2017 at a county commissioners meeting.
In March 2016, Sunkel and Nolan made repeated entries inside a burning car in order to inch the driver from the wreckage and pull her to safety, despite intense heat and flames that had reached the dashboard.
“Deputies Linda Nolan and Robert Sunkel exemplified that love when they rescued Cheryle D. Coons from burning on March 23, 2016,” said Kaschai, referring to Bible verse John 15:13, “Greater love hath no man that this, that a man lay down his life for friends,” which encircles the reverse side of the Carnegie Medal.
Kaschai has been a volunteer presenter for one year, and was awarded the Carnegie Medal after a 1976 act in which he helped to rescue two men from a burning sedan in Orlando, Fla.
- Carnegie Medal presentation at top of Squaw Peak impacts hero and victim
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Scott Ullom and Zachary A. McDowell
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Zachary Salce and Maddison Henslin
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Michael Douglas Barkhouse
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Kenneth L. Hamilton
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Ernest J. Tarsitano
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Kenneth Alfred
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Heroes Grant A. Goffinet and Brent D. Duncan
- State rep, police chief present Carnegie Medal to South Dakota police officers
- Carnegie Medal Presentation to Carnegie Hero Danny Lee Tiger