Suzanne Fortin

Suzanne FortinA March 6, 2021, propane-related explosion left 75-year-old David M. Munce dazed and motionless at the stove inside his Duncan, British Columbia, mobile home. Neighbor Suzanne Fortin, 70, heard the explosion and saw smoke issuing from Munce’s home. Fortin entered the mobile home, where flames had broken out behind the stove and along the rear wall. Fortin went to Munce and guided him outside to safety. The fire eventually engulfed the mobile home. Munce was hospitalized for more than a month and underwent grafting surgery on his hands. Fortin was uninjured.


Firefighters extinguish a fire in a mobile home after a March 6, 2021, propane tank explosion caused unsafe conditions inside the home. Neighbor Suzanne Fortin saw smoke issuing from the home and entered it to guide its 75-year-old occupant outside to safety. Photo courtesy of Cowichan Valley Citizen.