Thomas Lee Hawk died attempting to save Eric T. Hawk from burning, Bostwick, Georgia, December 16, 2022. Eric, 13, was in a bedroom of his family’s rural, one-story house when flames broke out in the attic of a storage room at one end of the house and spread. Eric saw smoke entering his bedroom and opened the door that led into a hallway, which was filled with smoke. He closed the door and called to alert his father, Hawk, 39, quality supervisor, who was next-door at Eric’s grandfather’s house. Hawk ran out of the grandfather’s house and to the burning house, followed by the grandfather. Hawk entered the house through a door that opened into the laundry room, which was next to the storage room. The grandfather attempted to enter the house through its front door, but could not open it. He then attempted to go in a door to the laundry room but could not due to the flames, heat, and smoke. The grandfather heard Eric shouting for help and went to his bedroom window. He removed an air conditioner from the window and pulled Eric through the opening, then dragged him away from the house. Eric suffered severe smoke inhalation and was hospitalized for a few days. Hawk’s body was found in the hallway near Eric’s bedroom. He sustained burns to his body, including his head and hands, and had died from inhaling smoke and soot.92796-10397
Thomas Lee Hawk, 39, of Bostwick, passed away on Dec. 16, 2022. Thomas was born on Oct. 24, 1983 to Sherry Conner Hawk and Thomas Clifford Hawk, Jr.
Surviving members of the family are, loving wife, Amanda Slaton Hawk; daughter, Mackenzie Jewel Hawk; son, Eric Thomas Hawk; parents, Sherry and Thomas (Tommy) Hawk, Jr.; grandfather, Thomas Clifford Hawk, Sr.; nieces and nephews, Kenneth Hawk, Abigail Merritt, Erica and Sam Bowden, Haley Lazenby, and Madison Lazenby.