Dennis J. Rogers rescued Brenda Gregory from burning, Welland, Ontario, February 18, 2002. Disoriented, Ms. Gregory, 38, was in the bathroom on the first floor of her house after fire broke out at night in the adjoining kitchen and sent dense smoke into the house. A passing motorist, Rogers, 37, machinist, saw smoke issuing from the house and flames at its front windows. He responded to the house’s rear door, where he learned that Ms. Gregory was still inside. Calling out to Ms. Gregory through the door, Rogers realized that she was unable to exit. Although visibility in the house was nil, Rogers entered, crawling. He told Ms. Gregory to pound on the floor so he could follow that sound to her. Rogers crawled to the bathroom, grasped Ms. Gregory by the wrists, and, crawling backward, dragged her to the rear door and outside. Ms. Gregory was treated at the hospital for superficial burns and smoke inhalation. Rogers suffered from effects of smoke inhalation for about three days, and he recovered.
75880 – 867975880-8679