Cory Alan Simonson helped to save Harvey L. Untiedt from burning, Maquoketa, Iowa, December 14, 2014. Untiedt, 48, who was confined to a wheelchair, was in his one-story house when fire broke out in the living room near the live Christmas tree. Blocked by deteriorating conditions from exiting the house by way of the accessible front door, Untiedt attempted to move toward a side door. A wheel that then malfunctioned on the chair stranded him between the living room and the kitchen as flames spread in the living room and smoke filled the house. A man who lived nearby, Simonson, 29, production worker, responded to the scene, joining another man who had arrived and was forcing entry through the side door of the burning structure. Both he and Simonson entered the house, going to the floor in the dense smoke. With little visibility, they crawled across the kitchen and found Untiedt. Then discovering that the wheelchair was immobile, they turned it around and maneuvered it through the kitchen to the side door. Others who had responded helped to remove Untiedt from the porch and to safety. Untiedt was taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, and Simonson experienced respiratory problems from the smoke, but he fully recovered.
87087 – 981587087-9815