Calvin Parham saved Edward A. Norfleet from burning, Knightstown, Indiana, January 11, 2019. Norfleet, 85, was in his house when fire broke out in the living room in the early morning. A neighbor, Parham, 44, forklift operator, left his home for work when he smelled smoke and saw the glow of flames at the side of Norfleet’s house. He ran to the side door of Norfleet’s house, kicked in the door, and entered the smoke-filled kitchen. Crouching down, Parham, who had trouble breathing, encountered intense heat and called out to Norfleet, who responded. Parham followed Norfleet’s voice into a room about 12 feet from the door, where Parham helped Norfleet, who had mobility issues, from his bed. Parham supported and carried Norfleet out of the house and then assisted him to his own house. Firefighters arrived shortly and found Norfleet’s house fully engulfed by flames. Norfleet was seen at a hospital but was not injured. Parham inhaled smoke; he recovered.
90364 – 1018690364-10186