Bradley C. Runions and Adam Joe Martin saved Michael W. Remmert from burning, Hayward, Wisconsin, July 6, 2015.
Remmert, 42, lay unconscious on the floor of the sunroom of his one-story house after fire broke out in the adjacent kitchen at night and filled the structure with dense smoke. Two neighbors, Runions, 58, disabled railroad worker of Hayward, and Martin, 32, cook also of Hayward, responded to the scene, where flames were issuing through the house’s kitchen windows.
They went to the door that opened to the sunroom; dense smoke poured through the door. Hearing Remmert wheezing from inside the structure, Runions got down onto his stomach, entered the house, and advanced through the sunroom despite the smoke restricting his visibility and inhibiting his breathing. He found Remmert at the opposite end of the room, near an opening to the kitchen. Runions grasped Remmert and pulled on him, standing in his efforts to move him. When he called for help, Martin ran into the sunroom, grasped Remmert by the arms, and with Runions dragged him through the door and from the house.
Remmert required hospitalization for treatment of smoke inhalation. Runions also received hospital treatment for inhaling smoke, and he recovered.
87534-9872 / 87535-9873