William T. Smith died attempting to rescue Kala D. and William T. Smith II from burning, Franklin, Georgia, October 15, 1994. Kala, 2, and her brother William, 1, were in a bedroom of their family’s mobile home when fire broke out in the living room at night and spread quickly. After awakening to the fire, their father, Smith, 28, garage door installer, fled the mobile home through its back door and immediately responded to the window of the children’s bedroom. He broke the window out, partially entered the bedroom, and removed two older children outside to safety. Smith then fully entered the smoke-filled bedroom and secured a hold on Kala and William, but he collapsed inside the room. Smith, Kala, and William all died of smoke inhalation.
69181 – 792469181-7924