William Price saved Joe E. Broaden from burning, Gary, Indiana, December 7, 1993. Broaden, 39, was in the living room of his third-floor apartment after fire broke out in the adjoining kitchen. Price, 59, shopkeeper in the neighborhood, saw smoke issuing from the building, then went to the scene, where he learned that Broaden remained inside the burning apartment. Although he was impaired by poor vision, Price entered the building, climbed the stairs to the third floor, and entered Broaden’s apartment through its only door, which opened into the kitchen. The apartment was filling with smoke. Price called out to Broaden, then crawled through the kitchen and into the living room, where he located him. Price grasped Broaden by the arm and dragged him through the kitchen and out of the apartment, then escorted him downstairs and outside to safety. Flames had spread throughout the apartment by the time firefighters arrived minutes later.
68386 – 788868386-7888