Warren Bennett helped to rescue Andrew F. Sleigh, Jr., from burning, Weston, West Virginia, July 17, 2005. Sleigh, 75, was on the second floor of his house after fire erupted in a bedroom on that floor. Driving by, Bennett 55, business operator, observed thick smoke and flames issuing from the residence. He stopped and ran to the house, entering it behind another man who also was responding. Bennett ran to the second floor, where in the dense smoke he found that the other man had pulled Sleigh to the top of the stairs. As the other man left to obtain a wet towel from the first floor, Bennett dragged Sleigh downstairs. Two other rescuers who had entered the house removed him to safety through the front door. Sleigh required extensive hospitalization for treatment of severe burns. Bennett suffered effects of smoke inhalation, and he recovered.
79719 – 903779719-9037