Vicente V. Valdez died attempting to rescue Juan M. Martinez from burning, Highgrove, California, November 24, 1976. Martinez, 37, was in the bathroom of his one-story frame dwelling when flames erupted there. A neighbor, Valdez, 27, farm laborer, was attracted and ran to the bathroom’s outside door. Flames could be seen at the window as Valdez broke open the door and entered the bathroom. The wife of Martinez also entered. She located her husband, who followed her outside as the flames increased. Martinez was rushed to a hospital but succumbed to burns he had sustained. Firemen removed the body of Valdez, who had burned to death in the bathroom flames.
55603 – 627355603-6273