Valerie Joan Schork saved Patricia M. Early from burning, Livonia, Michigan, November 5, 1992. Patricia, 1, was in a bedroom of her mother’s house when fire broke out in the living room at night. A neighbor, Ms. Schork, 32, was alerted to the fire by Patricia’s mother. Learning that Patricia was inside the burning house, Ms. Schork went to a window of the bedroom and entered but found no visibility in the thick smoke. After she went to Patricia’s crib but could not locate the child, Ms. Schork went back to the window for air and to ascertain Patricia’s location. She then turned back into the smoke and went to the bed, and, finding Patricia there, picked her up, took her to the window, and handed her outside to her mother. Ms. Schork then exited the house. Patricia was hospitalized a week for treatment of smoke inhalation; she recovered. Ms. Schork also required medical attention for having inhaled smoke.
67335 – 775467335-7754