Tray Hughes Ross saved Harold Johnson, Jr., from burning, Gainesville, Georgia, November 21, 2011. Johnson, 76, who was blind, was inside his one-story house after fire broke out in one of the bedrooms at night. At work in a plant across the street, Ross, 20, line supervisor, became aware of the fire. He ran to the burning house and at the front door heard Johnson yelling for help. Johnson opened the door but in the darkness and smoke could see nothing. He went to the floor and, following Johnson’s voice, crawled through the living and dining rooms and entered the kitchen, which was adjacent the burning bedroom. He found Johnson lying on the kitchen floor. Ross pulled Johnson to his feet and then, carrying him, retraced his path back to the front door and exited the house to safety. Firefighters were unable to save the house, which was destroyed. Johnson was hospitalized for treatment of smoke inhalation. Ross also received hospital treatment for smoke inhalation, and he recovered.
84522 – 957984522-9579