Thomas J. Moore, Sr., helped to rescue Henry M. Ingram from burning, Gill, Massachusetts, October 25, 1993. Ingram, 79, was in a bedroom on the second floor of his two-story house when fire broke out in that room. A neighbor, Moore, 45, teacher, was alerted to the fire. He ran to the burning house, entered, and climbed the stairs to the second floor, where he searched for Ingram, but he was driven back down the stairs partway by dense smoke and intense heat. After hearing Ingram and seeing him through the banister, Moore ascended the stairs again, then got down on the floor and moved through a hall to Ingram’s bedroom. Partially entering the burning bedroom, Moore grasped Ingram by an ankle and pulled him into the hall and toward the stairs. When Ingram’s foot became caught in the banister, Moore called to his daughter for help, and she responded. Freed, Ingram was aided to the first floor and outside to safety. He sustained first- and second-degree burns which required him to be hospitalized. He recovered. Moore sustained a minor burn to his elbow and smoke inhalation, and he singed his hair and eyebrows. He too recovered.
68270 – 784868270-7848