Thomas F. Hanshaw died attempting to rescue C. David Carney, Jr. from electric shock, Sissonville, West Virginia, July 10, 1971. With his clothing wet from rain, David, 15, high school student, was running on wet grass when he slipped and grasped an uninsulated wire carrying 110 volts of electricity. Both hands clutched the wire, and he sagged forward with the lower part of his body on the grass. A young man made three vain attempts, each time experiencing shock, to free David. Hanshaw, 18, arrived, grasped the wire near David, and appeared to pull it toward himself before he then slumped over it; after which one of David’s hands dropped from the wire. The young man then pulled him free. The flow of electricity was cut off; and Hanshaw fell free of the wire. David responded to artificial respiration; but Hanshaw could not be revived.
52114 – 585652114-5856