Terry Miller rescued Rachel Majewski and Bradley Hammond from burning, Hastings, Michigan, September 7, 2004. Rachel, 4, and her brother, Bradley, 9 months old, were inside their family’s mobile home after a gas explosion there set fire to the kitchen and living room. When a neighbor who was nearby, Terry, 15, high school student, learned that the children were inside, he entered the burning living room through the mobile home’s front door. He heard Rachel crying in the adjacent kitchen and went to her. Terry carried Rachel outside and then re-entered in search of Bradley. Repelled by smoke, he exited the mobile home but entered a third time. Hearing Bradley crying, Terry moved through the smoke and found Bradley in his crib in a far corner of the living room. Terry picked him up and took him outside. Rachel and Bradley were badly burned and required extensive hospitalization. Terry showed signs of smoke inhalation, and he recovered. The mobile home was destroyed in the fire.
77993 – 898577993-8985