Terry G. Bailey rescued Wayne E. Story from burning, Jonesborough, Tennessee, June 23, 1994. Story, 49, was inside his two-story townhouse apartment after fire erupted on the first floor, in the living room, at night. A neighbor, Bailey, 31, store manager, was alerted to the fire. He forced open the burning unit’s front door and called out to see if anyone were home, then, hearing no response, he left. Moments later, when Bailey re-entered the unit to double check for occupants, he heard the sound of Story’s strained breathing coming from the first floor. Bailey obtained a flashlight and wet towels and entered the unit again. The flashlight was of little assistance against the dense smoke. Using the wet towels to cover his nose and mouth, Bailey crawled to Story, whom he found on the floor in the kitchen. He seized Story, who was unconscious, and dragged him out of the apartment. Story required extensive hospitalization for severe burns. Bailey recovered after having inhaled smoke.
68900 – 790868900-7908