Steven P. Clothier II saved James T. Shaw from suffocation, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, December 8, 2003. Shaw, 42, sat injured and dazed in a cloud of chlorine gas in the laundry room of a large hotel after an explosion in that room that was caused by the accidental mixing of two incompatible chemicals. Clothier, 29, police officer, was parked nearby and heard the explosion. He responded to the hotel and entered it through a door that opened into a room off the laundry room. He saw Shaw on the floor about 17 feet ahead and started through the vapor cloud to him, but he was repulsed by the strong fumes and returned outside. Re-entering, he went to Shaw, pulled him to his feet, and walked him toward the door. They were met near the door by a responding firefighter, who took Shaw from Clothier, and all three exited the building. Shaw was hospitalized for treatment of injuries, including broken bones, received during the explosion. Clothier was hospitalized overnight for treatment of exposure to the gas. He did not resume his normal work routine for two months.
77643 – 888777643-8887