Steven DeGrace rescued Vernon Pell from burning, St. Margarets, New Brunswick, September 18, 2009. Pell, 75, was inside his one-story house after fire erupted in the kitchen. Motorists, including DeGrace, 40, electronics technician, drove upon the scene and stopped, having observed smoke issuing from the structure. Informed that Pell remained inside the house, DeGrace entered through the front door two times in search of him, but he was repulsed both times by smoke that precluded visibility. On a third entry, DeGrace crossed the living room and located Pell in the kitchen. As he began to pull Pell toward the front door, Pell fell to the floor, where he lay inert. Although Pell greatly outweighed him, DeGrace dragged him through the living room and to the front door, where a woman helped to pull Pell out of the house and into the yard. Pell was hospitalized for treatment of severe burns but died the next day. DeGrace recovered from exposure to the smoke.
84344 – 955384344-9553