Steve Lamar Rogers saved C. B. Zackery from burning, Mount Dora, Florida, May 11, 1991. Zackery, 88, was in the living room of his one-story frame house after fire broke out in a bedroom. Driving by, Rogers, 19, high school student, saw smoke coming from the house and stopped to investigate. Hearing Zackery screaming, Rogers kicked in the door to the enclosed front porch and entered; he then entered the living room and crawled to Zackery, guided by his gasps in the dense smoke. Rogers grasped Zackery and dragged him to the porch, where he stood him up and helped him outside to safety. Rogers re-entered the house upon learning that Zachery’s daughter was inside, but deteriorating conditions forced him back out. She was recovered by firefighters, who arrived shortly. Zackery sustained smoke inhalation and was hospitalized for two days; he recovered. Rogers recovered from minor smoke inhalation.
65876 – 761965876-7619