Stephen J. Moran helped to rescue Henry Sembach from burning, Calgary, Alberta, February 18, 1995. Sembach, 76, was inside his one-story home after fire broke out in a bedroom. Moran, 31, petroleum landman who lived nearby, saw smoke coming from Sembach’s house and responded to the scene. After two other men forced open the front door to the house, which was filled with dense smoke, one of them attempted entry and was thwarted by fire conditions. The other man then crawled into the house, followed by Moran. At floor level, below the smoke, they saw Sembach on the kitchen floor, at a point about 16 feet from the front door. Again following the other man, Moran stood and ran to Sembach, established a hold on him, and, aided by the other man, took Sembach through the living room and out of the house to safety. Sembach, suffering minor burns and smoke inhalation, was hospitalized, and he recovered.
69758 – 797869758-7978