Stacy D. Millham saved Raykata R. Halkett from burning, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, September 10, 1995. Nine-month-old Raykata was in a second- floor bedroom of her family’s two-story townhouse after fire erupted in an adjacent bedroom. Millham, 32, caretaker and resident of the townhouse complex, was alerted. He responded to the scene, where he learned that Raykata was still inside the townhouse. Millham entered the unit and went to the second floor, where dense smoke precluded visibility. He crawled to Raykata’s bedroom, where he forced open the door, then crawled inside. He located Raykata in a corner of the room, then, not wanting to retrace his course through the dense smoke, held her through the window and dropped her to bystanders below. Millham then lost consciousness and collapsed, partially extended through the window. Arriving firefighters removed him to safety. Raykata and Millham were both taken to the hospital, where Raykata was detained overnight and Millham was treated for smoke inhalation. They recovered.
70096 – 804370096-8043