Shirley Ann Norman died after rescuing Barry J. Norman from burning, Suffolk, Virginia, September 7, 1984. Barry, 2, was on the second floor of the two-story house he occupied with his mother and three brothers when fire broke out in a faulty heater. Miss Norman, 21, carried two of her children downstairs and returned to the second floor, despite flames and heavy smoke, for the others. After fire blocked the stairs, Miss Norman jumped from a second-floor window with Barry, who sustained severe burns to 50 percent of his body. Miss Norman also suffered severe burns, and she died five days later while undergoing treatment.
60377 – 695060377-6950