Sharon L. Boero, 16, schoolgirl, saved Ellen L. and Virginia K. Everson, 3 and 5, respectively, from burning, Strum, Wisconsin, February 9, 1958. At night while Ellen, Virginia, their 7-year-old brother Ronald, their 9-year-old sister, and another girl, 10, were asleep on the second floor of a frame dwelling, fire broke out on the ground floor and began to spread rapidly. Miss Boero, who was baby-sitting with the children while their parents were out, tried unsuccessfully to telephone for help. She then ran upstairs and awakened the children. Carrying Ellen and calling to the others to follow, she descended the stairs and ran from the building. Discovering that only the nine-year-old girl had accompanied her, Miss Boero left Ellen with the girl and re-entered the dwelling, where flames already were burning near the stairway. She ran to the second floor and again roused Ronald, who followed her to the stairs. Picking up Virginia and telling Ronald and the 10-year-old girl to follow, Miss Boero ran down the stairs, passing through flames five to six feet high then burning on the lower six steps. Both Miss Boero and Virginia sustained serious bums. On the ground floor Miss Boero ran beneath flames on the ceiling, opened the front door with difficulty, and left the dwelling with Virginia. The other two children had not followed her. Because fire conditions then were too severe to enter the building again, Miss Boero started toward the nearest farmhouse with the children. The 10-year-old girl, who had broken a window and escaped by way of the roof of an adjoining storeroom, met them and reported that Ronald had gone back to bed. Bernard H. Colby, 46 and subject to asthmatic attacks, was driving home with his family and met Miss Boero and the children. Learning of Ronald’s plight, Colby sent the others on to his home and drove to the Everson dwelling, which was unlighted, the electric lines having burned through. Unable to enter the first floor because of fire conditions, Colby drove to his farm, obtained a ladder, and returned to the dwelling with his wife. Having learned Ronald’s general location, Colby ascended the ladder to the kitchen roof and broke the window of Ronald’s room, from which dense smoke issued. Colby closed his eyes, held his breath, and climbed into the room, where he groped about until forced to return to the roof for air. He then re-entered the room and located Ronald, who was unconscious. Coughing from smoke he inhaled when forced to release his breath, Colby carried Ronald to the window, through it onto the roof, and down the ladder. Minutes later flames broke through the roof and outer walls. Together with Miss Boero and Virginia, Ronald was removed to a hospital, where he was revived. Firemen summoned by a passing motorist could not control the flames, which completely destroyed the building and its contents. Virginia was hospitalized for three weeks and recovered. Miss Boero, who suffered more extensive burns, recovered in two months but sustained scars on both hands.
44353 – 421444353-4214