Shannon Marie Segura saved Ashley R. Stone from burning, Green Bay, Wisconsin, March 19, 2001. Ashley, 1, was in a crib in a bedroom of her parents’ one-story house after fire broke out in the adjoining living room at night. A neighbor, Ms. Segura, 25, assistant manager, was alerted to the fire, and she immediately responded to the scene. Knowing the location of Ashley’s crib, Ms. Segura entered the house through the front door and crossed the burning living room to the bedroom. She removed Ashley from the crib and turned to retrace her course, but flames in the living room had worsened. Ms. Segura went to a bedroom window, which was broken out by others, and handed Ashley outside to safety. Ms. Segura then fled the burning house through the same window. Ashley was hospitalized two days for treatment of smoke inhalation, and she recovered. Ms. Segura was treated at the hospital for smoke inhalation, a burn to a finger, and a laceration to her right knee that required sutures. She too recovered.
75194 – 854075194-8540