Shane Smith died attempting to save Sylvia R., Christy D., and Sylvia C. G. Ledbetter from burning, Cedartown, Georgia, December 2, 1991. At night, Sylvia R. Ledbetter, 55, was in her bedroom of her one-story house when fire erupted in the living room. Also at home were Ms. Ledbetter’s daughter, Christy, 14, and Christy’s daughter, Sylvia C. G., 1. Ms. Ledbetter’s grandson, Shane, 17, high school student who also lived in the house, awoke to the flames and alerted other family members; he then fled the house with them. Saying that he had to rescue the others, Shane reentered the house, through its front door. Arriving firefighters removed Shane, Ms. Ledbetter, and Christy and her daughter from the house; all had died of smoke inhalation.
66392 – 778266392-7782