Roger M. Chandler saved Shane D., Allyssa M., and David E. Carnes from burning, Greensboro, North Carolina, October 30, 1998. Siblings Shane, 4; Allyssa, 3, and David, 1, were inside a 15-foot travel trailer, parked at the residence of a family friend, when fire erupted from the trailer’s malfunctioning gas heater. Chandler, 27, sales clerk, who also lived at the residence, was alerted to the fire by the children’s mother, and he immediately responded to the scene. Opening the door to dense smoke, which precluded visibility, Chandler entered the trailer, despite flames spreading to the trailer’s ceiling and walls. Chandler found Shane on a bed next to the door. He picked him up and took him outside, then returned to the inside of the trailer and found Allyssa, who also was on the bed. He exited the trailer with her, then re-entered it again, although flames were overhead, on the ceiling. He found David on the far end of the bed, then exited with him moments before the trailer was engulfed by flames.
73258 – 835273258-8352