Robert D. McKnight rescued Kaylee McNinch from burning, Fort Worth, Texas, January 5, 1999. Kaylee, 1, was in a crib in a bedroom of her family’s one-story house when fire erupted in the bathroom, across the hall. A neighbor, McKnight, 33, was alerted to the fire by Kaylee’s mother, who informed him also of Kaylee’s location. By then, the fire had spread to the hall. McKnight broke out a window to Kaylee’s bedroom and climbed through it. He could see nothing in the bedroom because of the smoke but moved, stumbling, toward the sound of Kaylee’s crying. About 10 feet from the window, McKnight found Kaylee’s crib, which was next to the door leading to the hall. Heat in that part of the room was blistering. McKnight lifted Kaylee from the crib, then retraced his steps to the window with her. He climbed through the window and jumped safely to the ground. Kaylee required hospital treatment for smoke inhalation, as did McKnight. He fully recovered.
73352 – 836573352-8365