Robert Clyde Clear rescued Milton C. Smith from electric shock, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, November 7, 1979. Smith, 61, was working at an electrical cabinet when he received a charge that held him in contact with high-voltage power. Clear, 55, journeyman electrician, went to Smith’s aid. After carefully encircling Smith with his arms, Clear in one motion closed them and jerked Smith free of the electrical charge. Smith required hospitalization but recovered.
57090 – 642057090-6420
Robert C. Clear, 82, of Vinton, Va., formerly of Edgeworth, Pa., died at the VA Hospital in Salem, Va., on Aug. 7, 2006. He was an electrician with Local #5 IBEW for 40 years.
Mr. Clear received the Carnegie Hero award in 1980.
(Edited from The Herald, Sewickley, Pa., Aug. 17, 2006.)