Robert B. Crighton helped to rescue Otto S. Soergel from burning, Prospect, Connecticut, June 2, 1990. Soergel, 55, was inside his home when fire erupted in the kitchen. Neighbors, including Crighton, 35, auto body repair shop manager, were alerted and went to the back door of the burning house. Despite dense smoke and intense heat inside, Crighton and another man entered the house repeatedly, crawling while inside to search for Soergel. On one of his entries, Crighton found Soergel lying in the kitchen, the walls and ceiling of which were aflame. He dragged Soergel toward the back door, then fled the house because of deteriorating conditions. Crighton then re-entered and, with the other man, dragged Soergel still closer to the back door before having to flee again. Once more Crighton entered the house and, with assistance from others, removed Soergel to safety. Soergel, badly burned, died of effects of the fire the following day. Crighton inhaled smoke but recovered.
65256 – 757165256-7571