Richard R. Dergousoff rescued Shane R. Stevens from burning, Vancouver, British Columbia, January 15, 1971. When fire broke out in the basement room where he and his 12-year-old brother were playing, Shane, 4, was trapped in one corner by the flames. His brother ran upstairs and, with his sister, 14, reported the situation to Dergousoff, 25, salesman, who had just then arrived. Running to the basement’s outside door, Dergousoff forced it open and entered the room adjoining that in which Shane was located. After being forced a number of times by the smoke and heat to retreat outside for air, Dergousoff reached the room containing the flames. Groping in the smoke and moving near the flames, Dergousoff found Shane and carried him outside. Shane was hospitalized for severe burns. He recovered.
52176 – 592052176-5920