Richard John Schwindt rescued Jason E. Walker from burning, St. Thomas, Ontario, November 20, 2000. Jason, 4, remained in the living room of his family’s one-story house after fire broke out in a bedroom and filled the house with dense smoke. Schwindt, 33, factory worker, was approaching the house for a visit when he saw that it was on fire. Learning that children remained inside the house, Schwindt broke out a window in the enclosed front porch and climbed through it. Despite the intense heat inside and visibility limited by the smoke, Schwindt moved about the house, crouching, in search of the children until he encountered Jason in the living room. He picked Jason up and returned to the front porch, where he delivered Jason to safety through the window. Schwindt also exited the house. Jason was hospitalized for treatment of severe injuries sustained in the fire, and he recovered. Schwindt sustained smoke inhalation and a minor burn to an arm, from which he recovered.
74933 – 858674933-8586