Richard D. Schneider helped to save David P. Lozenski from burning, Leavenworth, Kansas, September 22, 1990. Lozenski, 19, was in a first- floor bedroom of his family’s house when fire broke out in the living room and filled the house with dense smoke. A neighbor, Schneider, 28, bank officer, saw flames and smoke and ran to the back door of the house. He entered, went to the hall outside the bedroom, and found Lozenski’s mother and another neighbor attempting to remove Lozenski, who required a wheelchair. The wheelchair was lodged in the hall, and Schneider joined in the attempt to move it. As smoke was becoming denser, Schneider then lifted Lozenski, and he and the other neighbor carried him from the hall and through the house to its back door, en route passing the burning living room. They exited the house. Arriving paramedics gave oxygen to Lozenski, Schneider, and the other neighbor, and all recovered.
65304 – 752965304-7529