Raymond Morehouse saved Tracey Miller and Charles Holtgrewe from burning, Tucson, Arizona, December 31, 1992. Ms. Miller, 23; her son, Charles, 3, and her two other children were in a bedroom of a friend’s one-story house when fire broke out in the living room at night. A neighbor, Morehouse, 28, plant manager, responded to the scene and learned that they had not escaped. Unable to enter the house through its doors because of spreading flames, Morehouse broke a window to Ms. Miller’s bedroom and yelled to her. Shortly she appeared at the window and handed one of her children out to Morehouse. When Ms. Miller herself did not exit, Morehouse climbed into the bedroom, located her, and pushed her through the window. After exiting for air, Morehouse re-entered the bedroom and crawled to a bed, where he found Charles. He took Charles to the window and passed him outside. Weakened by fire conditions, Morehouse exited the house and lay on the ground. He alerted arriving firefighters to the third child, who was then rescued by them. Ms. Miller and the children were treated at the hospital, and Morehouse was treated at the scene for cuts, minor burns, and smoke inhalation, from which he recovered.
67386 – 780067386-7800