Ramon V. Laro rescued Gordon H. Place from burning, Enfield, New Hampshire, February 28, 1973. When Place, 50, truckdriver, lost control of the rig he was driving, it swerved off the road and came to rest on snow-covered ground with the tractor 25 feet from the trailer which contained 6,700 gallons of gasoline. Both sections of the rig caught fire; and Place, unconscious, was hanging out of the cab, to which the flames had spread. Laro, 30, telephone lineman, climbed onto the cab and tried in vain to remove Place, whose foot was caught. After using an extinguisher to put out flames on Place’s attire and then freeing his foot, Laro was able to pull him out. Others aided in moving him away from the burning tractor. Place recovered from his burns.
53240 – 602753240-6027