Paul W. Condron rescued Thomas C. and Anne L. Ford from burning, Plum, Pennsylvania, January 22, 1996. Ford, 80, and his wife, 68, were in the living room of their one-story house when the house was wracked by an explosion of built-up natural gas that had leaked into the structure. Flames began to consume the house rapidly. From their home next door, Condron, 55, retired credit manager, and his wife responded to the scene, where, through a blown-out window in the living room, they saw Ford, dazed and severely burned. Condron climbed to the window and removed Ford from the house, another neighbor and Condron’s wife providing assistance. Not having seen Mrs. Ford in the living room, Condron went to the back of the house, calling her. She responded from the kitchen, which was aflame. Condron forced open a storm door, then the back door to allow entry. He grasped Mrs. Ford, who also was badly burned, and pulled her from the house. The house was engulfed by flames within minutes of the explosion and was reduced to its foundation within the hour. Ford and his wife were admitted to a burn unit, where Mrs. Ford died of effects of her burns 11 days later. Condron also required hospital treatment, for burns to his face and right hand. He recovered.
70337 – 808270337-8082