Paul J. Myers rescued Shaun D. Laroche from burning, Oshawa, Ontario, October 11, 1986. Shaun, 2, was in his family’s two-story house when fire broke out in the living room. A neighbor, Myers, 39, press operator, saw smoke and ran to the house, where he learned that Shaun was still inside, on the second floor. Myers immediately entered the house through the front door, but blistering heat and dense smoke forced him to retreat. Covering his face with his jacket, Myers again entered the house. Despite being unable to see in the dense smoke, he felt his way up the stairs and, following Shaun’s voice, located him near the top of the stairs. Myers picked Shaun up and descended the stairs, but he then became disoriented and mistakenly entered a closet near the front door. Escaping the closet, Myers exited the house with Shaun. Shaun required hospital treatment for smoke inhalation and first-degree burns, and he recovered. Myers also recovered from effects of the fire.
62538 – 720662538-7206