P. Raymond Morris rescued Emma K. Anderson from burning, Logan, Utah, November 3, 1995. Ms. Anderson, 76, was at home when fire broke out in the basement of her one-story house and filled it with dense smoke. A neighbor, Morris, 58, custodian, was alerted to the fire. He ran to the scene and entered the burning house through the kitchen door but was forced out by the smoke. Re-entering, he got down on his stomach and, guided by Ms. Anderson’s voice, crawled across two rooms to where he found Ms. Anderson, who was standing about 22 feet from the kitchen door. Morris pulled her to the floor, then dragged her to the door as flames spread to the ceiling over them. At the door, other men assisted in removing Ms. Anderson from the house and carrying her away. Ms. Anderson was hospitalized several days for treatment of smoke inhalation. Morris also inhaled smoke but recovered later that day.
70182 – 811670182-8116