Neil A. Simcox saved Brandi E. Brandshaw from burning, Oswego, New York, April 3, 1992. Brandi, 11 months old, was in her bedroom after fire erupted in the living room of her family’s first-floor apartment. Simcox, 33, floor tiler, was alerted to the fire from a house across the street, and he went to the scene, where flames were issuing from the living room windows. Learning that Brandi was in her bedroom, Simcox went to that room’s window, through which others had attempted a rescue. Simcox climbed through the broken window and, unable to see because of dense smoke, groped through the room and found Brandi’s playpen. He found Brandi in the playpen, then picked her up and carried her to the window, where he handed her out to others. Simcox then climbed out of the window to safety. Both he and Brandi were treated for smoke inhalation, and they recovered.
66710 – 771066710-7710