Nathan Yassen saved Nina L. Sullivan from burning, Brockton, Massachusetts, January 28, 2011. Sullivan, 97, was alone in her one-story frame house after fire broke out in a back room at night and filled the structure with dense smoke. Her neighbor, Yassen, 19, high school student, was outside his house and discovered the fire. He responded to the rear of the structure, but flame conditions there prevented his entering. Going to the front of the house, he kicked open the front door and entered, despite intense heat inside and visibility that was restricted by the smoke. Crouching, Yassen made his way through the living room and a hall toward Sullivan’s bedroom, en route passing the kitchen, which was aflame. He found Sullivan outside her bedroom doorway. Placing an arm around her, Yassen guided her past the burning kitchen and through the living room, and they exited the house to safety. Flames grew to engulf and destroy the house. Both Sullivan and Yassen were taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, Sullivan requiring admission. They recovered.
83836 – 951483836-9514