Mickie Fenwick helped to save Chad L. Perkins from a burning vehicle, Abilene, Texas, November 1, 2018. Perkins, 36, was unconscious in a burning sport utility vehicle which came to rest against a tree after it struck a gas meter, which ruptured and began to leak natural gas. Flames broke out on the engine. Fenwick, 47, stopped at the scene and went to the vehicle, where he saw Perkins inside. Fenwick put damp leaves and dirt on the flames in an unsuccessful effort to extinguish the fire. At the driver’s door of the vehicle he was joined by a police officer. Fenwick and the police officer reached inside the vehicle through the open window of Perkins’s driver’s door, grasped Perkins, and tugged on him, attempting to pull him out. Perkins’s foot was stuck, and Fenwick reached in through the window and freed it. He and the police officer pulled Perkins out through the window and carried him away from the vehicle. Perkins sustained a lacerated liver and numerous broken bones. He was not burned.
90328 – 1017690328-10176