Michael J. Begin helped to rescue Otto S. Soergel from burning, Prospect, Connecticut, June 2, 1990. Soergel, 55, was inside his home when fire erupted in the kitchen. Neighbors, including Begin, 37, systems programmer, were alerted and went to the back door of the burning house. Despite dense smoke and intense heat inside, Begin and another man entered the house repeatedly, crawling while inside to search for Soergel. After the other man located Soergel and began to drag him toward the back door, Begin re-entered the house and, with the other man, dragged Soergel closer to the door before deteriorating conditions forced him to flee again. Begin and others then removed Soergel to safety. Soergel, badly burned, died of effects of the fire the following day. Begin inhaled smoke but recovered.
65258 – 757265258-7572